Tuesday 22 January 2013

Bun number 2

Bun number 2 arrived 2 months ago and has been keeping me very busy. It's hard to believe that this little girl was the cause of my hyperemesis and unbelievable exhaustion not so many months ago. She's now the cause of occasional grumpiness because of lack of sleep but she has been so totally worth it. It takes everything in my will power not to bite her chubby thighs. Life as mum of two definitely has its challenges but living with my family has been such a blessing. Most of all though, seeing my four year old son being the most loving and protective big brother ever makes my heart burst with pride.

I had an elective c-section with Chubby Chops (as my friend so aptly nicknamed her). With my son I went though the entire labour before being told I needed an emergency c- section. As I was already a bit of a wuss the first time round (to the extent that I woke up having panic attacks about giving birth) I decided to go with what I already knew. In retrospect I do wish I'd given a natural birth more of a chance. Recovery from a section is no joke. It was much harder than the first time round and taken longer. The irony of it all was that my waters broke the morning of my scheduled c-section and I even started getting labour pains whilst waiting to be taken to the operating theatre.

Whilst under the epidural, its effects ran out half way after Chubby Chops being born. The anaesthesiologist didn't realise at first and so I could feel the pulling and tugging for a while. As soon as she realised I was in pain I was given something so strong I felt myself slipping into sleep almost straight away. That was a bit scary. I couldn't open my eyes but I could hear everything. Everything after that was fine except for the after effects of that anaesthesia. I kept drifting off to sleep and when I was awake, kept throwing up. It lasted for half a day but then I was fine. Unlike with my son where I was kept for three days supervision, I was sent home the next day.

Chubby is due her first set of immunisations day after tomorrow, something that I've not ever been able to get used to. I wish I could take them for her. Despite the sleep deprivation, grumpiness and tiredness, I wouldn't change this experience for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment