Tuesday 2 November 2010

Paperback vs e-books

For the record let me state how into technology I am. I want an iPad, I get upset whenever a new iPhone is released because it makes mine that much older and obsolete in technological terms and i'm always a sucker for the latest gadget. I even downloaded a few apps such as Stanza and iBooks on my iPhone so that I could read in bed sometimes.

Having said all that though, there is no way - for me - that e-books could ever replace a good old fashioned paperback. Curling up on the sofa with some hot chocolate and an e-book just doesn't do it for me like a paperback would. Yes, I know e-books are more convenient when travelling as you can have as you can have a whole library to hand etc etc. And yes, I wouldn't say no to one in that case. But nothing can replace the weight and feel of a book. I like turning proper pages. I like not having to worry about charging the batteries in case my iPhone dies on me right in the middle of finding out if Lisbeth has survived a savage attack or not. I even like flicking to the end of book sometimes and sneakily reading the end before going to back to where I originally was and carry on as if I didn't know what was going to happen.

Paperbacks rock. I just hope that they don't eventually disappear altogether. And don't get me started on snail mail vs email either...

1 comment:

  1. Hey! =)
    I am a passerby who so happened to stumble upon your blog, and you know what, I love your blog, your posts, and especially, your writing style!
    I agree with you the irreplaceable importance of paperback! haha it really impressed me how much things in common we had - I am pretty much of a technology lover too myself. not to mention the flicking to the end of the book for the conclusion part! haha though i believe there are alot of people out there that might have the same habit, it's just amazing to simply stumble upon one! haha
    I really love reading your blog. Keep it up girlwhowalksintherain!

    ReplyDelete